Greatings to EMYR 2011 Sailors,              

This is our first newsletter and we hope this will answer some if not all your questions. Please remember that a lot of your queries can be answered by referring to our web page www.emyr.org

Last year was the rallys  21st anniversary. During and after the rally the EMYR Rally Committee have noticed that Rally crew, our hosts at the ports in the visiting countries and also the committee members and the members in the organization committees at each ports have enjoyed the Rally like the years before. We are still enjoying very much looking at the photos of EMYR 2010 receiving  and replying e-mails of the EMYR sailors.

The EMYR committee met some weeks ago and despite increased commitments and work load by members, the decision to continue the rally for the as long as there are ports / marinas to welcome the rally fleet. 

Kath & Dave are back in their house in Girne North Cyprus after their short autumn cruise, they were fortunate to meet up with many past EMYR participants. They have continuous visitors from everywhere in the world and have a busy social life. Hasan is busy with the promotions of Alanya Marina and the other marinas on the Eastern Mediterranean coast. He is now in Barcelona and will be sailing back to Alanya from Mallorca with a group from the past years EMYR rallies, Alan on Watershad and Neville from Taralee. Umut is improving the facilities of the new Setur Yalova Marina and is ready to receive yachts sailing either in the Sea of Marmara, transiting to the Black sea or visiting the City of Istanbul. Faruk & Ceren are in Göcek and their first child was born 6 days ago, we are all very happy for them and are looking forward to seeing Deniz. Faruk is a section manager of Port Göcek. Our Commodore Teoman Arsay is back at İstanbul and keeping his yacht at Kalamış Marina where we wil have our first meetings and first reception.

The rally will start from İstanbul as previous years; our commodore Teoman Arsay may join us for first legs on SY Mat.  For the past 5 years Dave and Kath on Mashona have joined the rally in Istanbul, this year they will join somewhere en route maybe Ayvalık or Cesme.

The 2010 rally basically went to plan. The committee felt at the time it was not appropriate to visit İskenderun in the wake of their tragic loss after a terrorist attack.

Surprisingly we have received the early confirmations nearly from all the ports for EMYR 2010 except Port Said. Our representative Nagib Latif – Felix is still working for the confirmations of 6 different offices as we need to stay at the Arsenal Basin in Port Said. Arsenal Basin is large enough for EMYR fleet, very well secured by the customs officers and we feel more comfortable to leave the yachts there for our two days tour to Cairo. There is no final decision received yet but we believe we will have the permission granted to use Arsenal basin as usual.

Some of the problems that occurred prior to the 2010 rally are still present.

1.     The marinas along the Turkish Aegean coast are virtually full and it is increasingly more difficult to secure berths for the rally yachts.

2.     In North Cyprus the old harbour is full and we may have to use a small space in the commercial harbour.

3.     Yachting in Syria is on the increase and again there is difficulty in allocating sufficient space.

4.     We have more applicants than we have places for.

As a new port, we will ask the assistance of Datça Harbour Master for one night stay in Datça while sailing from Didim to Martı Marina.

There are different plans in Göcek and also we will announce the Göcek stay with our next newsletters.

Depending on the Setur Marinas Company decision, we may stay at the new Kaş Marina.

There are also two different options in North Cyprus but we always prefer to stay in Girne Harbour to be near to the beautiful city and Dome Hotel for our traditional Pirate Party.

This year we may use the facilities of the new marina at Mersin but we have cancelled İskenderun visit as there is no development and not much space for EMYR yachts.

 Attached is the provisional programme which may change depending on the replies from the ports and marinas.

We may be able to find few berths in Delta Marina and the rest of the fleet will stay on the commercial part of the harbour,

We may not be welcomed to Port Said because of the rally’s route includes Israel and we may finish the rally without Egypt visit.

As we have already outlined that there is a problem with limited space in some ports and the committee has reluctantly decided that.

  • We can only accept four catamarans

  • The size of any yacht including bow spit and davits must be under 16 metres

  • Preference will be given to applicants of smaller boats

We will limit the amount of boats joining before Alanya (this will depend on the answer we receive from the participating marinas as to how many boats they can accommodate.

We are aware that some of you will be disappointed but we can assure you this is necessary if the rally is to continue in its present form.

The only other solution would be to reduce the number of applicants and this we feel is a lesser option.

The committee will decide the provisional list and their decision will be final and non negotiable.

Each year we receive more applications than we have places, for a variety of reasons some applicants withdraw, many at the last moment, this means that we have very little time to offer the places to others on the waiting list.

The committee will expect your entry confirmation with 200 Euro non-refundable deposit credit card payment form until the 30th of November 2010. Those yachts not confirming by that date will be deleted from the main list. Depending on the confirmed participants number on the main list the EMYR Committee will send the second e-mail to the yachts on the waiting list with a request for confirmation and deposit payment. They will then move on to the main list.

There are some other points that you should either address now or consider.

  1. Please ensure your Turkish transit log will not expire before our departure from Mersin.

  2. Your last Turkish port should clearly be Mersin.

  3. Ensure your passport is in date till at least 6 weeks after the end of the rally.

  4. Please note that although European identity cards are acceptable in Turkey and North Cyprus, a full passport is essential for Syria Lebanon Israel and Egypt.

  5. You should ensure that you and your crew satisfy the entry requirements for the country's that we visit (this is particularly important if you have crew joining or leaving)

  6. If you or your crew are leaving in North Cyprus you will be required to surrender your transit log in Alanya and obtain a new one in Mersin.

  7. There are nine overnight passages.

  8. You have the necessary insurance for the areas we visit.

  9. There should not be an Israeli stamp in the passports and no Israeli connections for our Syria visit. The passports will be inspected carefully in Syria & Lebanon.

  10. Participants are reminded that charter boats or chartering (i.e. charging crew to participate in the rally) is not in any circumstances allowed. Crews should be expected to pay only reasonable cost sharing. If the committee become aware that this is not being adhered to, the boat will be immediately asked to leave the rally.

With our best regards,



     Kath & David Gerrard        Gönül & Hasan Kaçmaz   

      SY Mashona UK                   SY IBIS II, Turkey            


    Umut Tepedelenlioğlu         Ceren & Faruk Günlü

    EMYR Coordinator               EMYR Secretary