MEDITERRANEAN YACHT RALLY
Dear EMYR 25th Yacht Rally Members,
As time for the rally start gets nearer, there are some boats covering some long distances to get to their starting points as you read this letter.
We have on this rally proximately a 50/50 split of ex rally boats and new participants.
This would be the right time to explain some of the rally's important notes as the past members would know, but some may have forgotten?
Please read the following information as it is important to achieving a successfully & safe rally.
• Flags; Please inform if you need the national flags for N. Cyprus, Lebanon ( if you plan to visit on your return) Israel & Egypt ( if we decide to go). We can buy them on your behalf and you will receive and pay at Alanya Marina.
• Dressing flags; Each yacht should have dressing flags to fly when entering the marinas. Please buy one set if you don?t have on board and you can ask your marina yacht chandler
• Volunteers; There will be list of the volunteers for certain activities
Responsible people for;
1. Medical organization
4. Lost & found items
5. Technical problems
6. Song ? Music Nev
7. Belly Dancing Beatris Saksuka
9. Transitlogs clear our at Mersin for each group
• Checking the boat information on the web page, sizes, joining port, leaving port nationality, number of crew etc.
• Transitlog; The expiry date should be after EMYR departure from Mersin, 3rd June 2014 and the last port should be registered as Mersin.
• Passport pages of the crew with photo and personal information & Ship registry pages should be scanned and e-mailed to committee by the end of April 2014. Please check that you have NO Israeli stamp or any other connection to Israel in your passports, otherwise you will be refused to enter Lebanon if you think to visit on the way back to Turkey.
• New Passports; Please inform if there is a new passport for your crew. The list of the total EMYR participants should be 100% correct with passport details including passport numbers.
• Insurance: For your own benefit, it is wise to check with your yacht insurance agency about coverage in N. Cyprus & Israel since they may be on the company's list of 'war territories. We recommend that you receive written confirmation from your insurance company that you are covered in these counties. Other participants have received approval by sending their company a letter of request for coverage explaining that we are a large group, that this is the 25th year for this rally.
• Reservation at the Marinas; If you are arriving at a port before the designated Rally time, staying longer or returning after, you must have reservations! And pay the agreed upon fees. Some marinas will have special rates for yachts returning after the Rally depending on the length of your stay. Please contact the marina managements individually.
• Return to Turkey; Many of you will stay in Israel at least for few weeks to discover the Holy Land and also to visit Jordan. Some of you will sail to N.Cyprus or southern Cyprus marinas or direct to Turkish mainland in groups and some alone. It is always good to sail in company. Monastery bay in N.Cyprus, on the southern side of the Karpas peninsula is an ideal stopover place in nature. You will love the place. Dave and Kath highly recommend this anchorage don?t miss out the visit to the small restaurant on the cliffs above.
• Where to stay after the rally; Herzliya is a beautiful well organised marina to leave your yacht while travelling inland. email@example.com Second option is Ashkelon Marina with less expensive charges. firstname.lastname@example.org You can contact them for reservation. You are always welcome to stay at EMYR Marinas inN. Cyprus or southern coast of Turkey after the rally if you need a berth to fly home for couple of weeks or months.
• Visiting Lebanon after the Rally; You have to visit Cyprus, either north or south and after sail to Lebanon. The authorities at Lebanon will question whether your last port is one of the Israeli Marinas/ports. You have to prove with your passport or a piece of document from Cyprus Immigration or harbour authority that you are coming from Cyprus not from an Israeli port.
• Pets; It is fine to have dog or cat on board. The problem is you can?t take them with you while touring in the buses. There are 2 times two days tour in Turkey. You can?t take them to the hotels. There is quarantine system in N. Cyprus but no trouble if we don?t report that we have a dog/cat on board.
• Children ; There have been always children in the rally. They have enjoyed the entire rally even if there are no other children. EMYR Rally will be a life time experience for any child. We don?t charge the children if the age is less than 12 years old and full charge for the above 12 years. There will be some discounts on the tour charges for the children if we can convince the tour operators.
• Dress ; There will be many dinners and nearly all will be Jacket and Tie dinners. The ladies will have their best dresses. We will have the Pirate Party at Girne so don?t forget to make your pirate out fits. Don?t forget to bring comfortable walking shoes for the tours.
• New Marinas; We will visit New Kumkuyu Marina,
• Rally Groups; There will be three groups designed at Kas Marina meeting, all with their allocated group leader,(to be announced) to coordinate the group, thus making our passages safe. The groups are based on boat length, so the first Red group, followed by the Yellow & Dark Blue groups, would be able to anticipate their arrival time when heading for a new port. Groups will be formed according to the length over all and group changing inquires will not be accepted.
• Volunteers; Medical people are required to inform themselves to the committee as there can be urgent situations. The names will be kept confidential. The musicians are very welcome to announce their names to the groups.
• Joining Ports; There are 40 yachts listed as 12 yachts are cancelled their participations for different reasons and there might be some guest yachts acceptance for EMYR2014 cruising with EMYR fleet for one or two passages. Please check your joining ports on the attached list and inform the committee if there is any mistake.
• Safety; You will obviously be having some concerns about the safety issues in visiting those Middle East countries that have been the subject of conflict during the past few months. We are continually monitoring the political situation in the Middle East both in conjunction with our representatives in the country and the relevant embassies, as much as we can. We believe at the moment it is safe to visit all the ports in the programme but we will adapt our sailing passages as required before or during the rally. We will make appropriate decisions to ensure the enjoyment of the Rally when the situation and the time draw nearer. We have received the positive reports for the safety from the EMYR Representatives in Israeli Marinas/Ports and they all are looking forward to welcoming the EMYR Yachts in their ports & marinas.
• North Cyprus; We have received the confirmation of our visit at N.Cyprus. Delta Marina, Girne Commercial Harbour and Karpazgate Marina will provide berths to EMYR Yachts. New Karpas Gate Marina is confirmed as a Port of Entry and we will be able to see more of the area than we were able to see last years. Karpas Gate Marina 50 NM east of Girne and the beaches on either side are perfectly clean and this visit will give us a chance to enjoy swimming.
• Israel; Carmel Sailing Community Commodore Mr. Yohai Palzur, the chairman of the new association, and Marina Shavit management team are happy to host EMYR sailors at Haifa Shavit marina email@example.com happy that we will visit Haifa Quishon Port again. Herzliya & Ashkelon Marinas Managements are happy to welcome the rally again as this is also an enjoyable annual event for their sailors in their marinas.
• Tours; We are working on a regular tour programme and we are awaiting final details from all the harbours including the ports & marinas in Turkey N.Cyprus, and maybe in Egypt. The tour details and the prices are announced on the EMYR web site. There are already charges for the 2012 EMYR tours and last year information will remain in red colour letters. The updated information for 2014 will be in black colours.
• EMYR Programme & Participants List; The latest list for the participants also announced on the web site. You may have the updated list on the EMYR web site always.
• Visa; There are no visa charges in N. Cyprus or Israel except Turkish crew. The visa for Turkish sailors will be issued on entry at Haifa Shavit Marina. There will be a harbour tax per person in Israel on entry. Please see the information on the web site.
• Entry Exit Charges; There is a service charge in Turkey on departure at Mersin and no entry & exit charges for N. Cyprus. Please see the information for entry ? exit charges on the EMYR web site for Israel & Egypt ( if we go).
• Crew: There are two (2) overnight passages after Mersin. Do you have adequate crew? We realize that this is an ambitious schedule of passages and tours but necessary in order to not inconvenience the local fishing boats and yachts owners. Tired crew can lead to short tempers and intolerance and would defeat the purpose of the Rally. We have an experience that also unknown crew can be a problem. Take people you know very well for the long Rally program.
• Crew List; There are still some yachts that their crew list is not completed. Please complete as early as possible. Urgent.
• Shirt sizes: Please e-mail to EMYR Secretary with shirt sizes for crew (S, M, L, XL, XXL) if you haven?t done it yet.
• Water; The majority of the ports we visit can provide water but the quality cannot be guaranteed. It is advisable to have bottled water for drinking.
• Fuel; There will be always option to refuelling by pump at the quay side, by tanker or by jerry canes. We always recommend spare fuel filters. The fuel prices are announced on the web site. Red colour is last year price and black colour is updated for 2014. There might be unexpected changes depending on the world fuel market
• Difficulties but dont complain please; After Alanya, there are some ports like Bozyazi where there may be some water and power connections, very primitive sanitary facilities or non. The rally yachts will be packed in Girne. There will be marinas that the yachts will raft alongside one another. You may have to cross 5 yachts in Haifa to go ashore and they may pass along your deck. There is not much that the committee can organise. Please don?t complain because of the limited facilities or no facilities at the ports that we will visit and the people walking on your deck. As the number are around 35 ? 40 there will be les difficulties in EMYR2014.
• Update information; You can visit the web site of the rally to find information about the rally, ports, tours, and articles written by past Rally participants. The Rally Committee will be happy to respond to any of your questions if you can?t find the answers on the web site. We would welcome your contributions to the memories section of the web site. Please e mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is only 15 days to the start day of the 235th EMYR and we have received and answered many questions from EMYR2014 participants. Hasan had a meeting in Girne and Mersin to talk about the different issues. This newsletter will explain the update information that we have received from the ports in Turkey, N. Cyprus and Israel and also give you some general answers to your questions concerning EMYR2014.
A message from Sarah & Nev Harrison; The rally is not a race. We will be a group of boats safely cruising down the Turkish coast visiting N. Cyprus & Israel. Each captain has to leave the current port to arrive at the new port at the groups? allocated time, as this is important, so the receiving marina will be ready for our arrival at the allocated time, but not before. The group leaders will meet before each departure, to get the latest update from the rally committee, then have their own group meeting to filter the information to their group boats. This has been a well proven formula though out the past rallies and it works well, if we all remember we are a group of sailors, but not individuals, and have respect for your fellow participants.
On a personal note we have had four wonderful rallies but we think it is worth mentioning, you will only get out of the rally what you are repaired to put in so don't hold back, your here to enjoy yourself, so let?s have a wonderful time, the only advise we could give is possibly take it easy and the G & T's.
Our hope is for good weather, friendships, hospitality, and great experiences as we will make the 25th Eastern Mediterranean Yacht Rally a wonderful event for both the sailors and our hosts.
We wish fair cruising and many Happy Hours.
THE EMYR?2014 COMMITTEE
Kath & David Gerrard
SY Mashona UK
Gönül & Hasan Kaçmaz
SY IBIS II, Turkey